Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Leaning Towards the Natural Side

Hi everyone! I had a wonderful customer request that I get some natural soaps made. I tend to want to make soaps with bright colors and fragrances that can't be achieved with natural colorants and essential oils. Every now and again though, it feels so good to go back to the basics. That is how I started after all!

This customer suggested some blends that she'd be interested in but also gave me the liberty to make whatever I wanted and she'd still purchase it. So that was fun! I did end up choosing two of her suggestions and they were pretty darned good!

The first I made was Anise Mint Soap. It is a blend of anise and peppermint essential oils. I've soaped anise several times but I've never mixed it with peppermint. Wow, what a wonderful combo. They compliment each other so well! I used Egyptian Licorice Mint Tea for the liquid portion of my soap and then opened a tea bag and use the tea to sprinkle down the middle of the top when I was finished.



The other blend was a citrus essential oil blend. This one wasn't really a new blend so I know that it will stick for me. I mixed Pink Grapefruit, 10 Fold Orange, Litsea Cubeba, and Lemongrass essential oils. With both soaps I used kaolin clay to help anchor the scents. I called it Beautiful Day because it reminds me of a sunny, bright, cheery, day full of sunshine and blue skies. I topped the soap with dried cornflower and sunflower petals.



I am quite certain that I will be remaking both of these soaps. They are just so creamy and GOOD.

A quick reminder that I will have new items listing this Sunday, May 25th, sometime between 2-4pm, central time. I will updating the site later this week so you can browse before the store opens. Missouri River Soap Store

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! I really like how clean looking they are with those wonderful pops of colour with the toppings. Your customer will be so thrilled.

Molly S. said...

Hi Holly,

I'm a novice soapmaker and I'm just amazed at how perfect and beautiful your soaps are! I've watched quite a few of your videos and I was wondering- how do you prevent soda ash on your soaps? It doesn't look like you've ever had a problem with it and from what I've seen you don't cover them up (except when you gel them).
-Molly

Holly said...

Thanks you! Molly - I do fight the ash. In fact, I'm fighting it this morning with a new soaps I made yesterday. I spray my new soaps frequently with 91% alcohol and it definitely helps but it isn't fool proof.

Holly said...

Thanks you! Molly - I do fight the ash. In fact, I'm fighting it this morning with a new soaps I made yesterday. I spray my new soaps frequently with 91% alcohol and it definitely helps but it isn't fool proof.

Unknown said...

I very much enjoy watching your videos. I definitely love the colors you use. It gets me inspired to make soap. :D

Natalia said...

Love the delicate look of these soaps! So natural and perfect!